WIP-ping up a hat – Episode 3


I’ve had to slow down with this project, as I’m lacking the 6mm DPNs needed at the end.   I’m now working the decreases anyway, so the end draws close.

This project has gone very smoothly so far.  I just hope that it continues like that!

Advertisements

WIP-ping up a hat – Episode 2


I love this pattern!  It knits up so quickly!  I’m galloping (for me) and am already nearly half way.  I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t dodged knitting in the round!

Smocked Tam - WIP-2

Smocked Tam - WIP-2

I’m now on the second increase round.  And here I have to say what a pleasure it is to not be confronted with “dec x sts evenly across the row”!  That kind of pattern instruction annoys me so much…

WIP-ping up a hat


As I had 300g of the Stylecraft Life Chunky (Mixtures Cranberry) yarn left over from making the belted tunic, Jenny asked for a Tam (or similar) to go with it.  After some searching and reading, Jenny’s preferred design was Blackberry Surprise, by Thea Colman.  I’ve started on it today, finally daring to knit a piece using circular needles!

Smocked Tam - WIP-1

Smocked Tam - WIP-1

Not only does this mean using circular needles from scratch (there’s also some DPN work towards the end), knitting-in-the-round, but I’ll also be learning to “smock”.  Should be interesting!

Belted Tunic : Finalé


At around 4 this morning I finished the belted tunic!  Sewing on the collar was challenging but ample pinning saw me through it.  Jenny is thrilled with it and has worn it all day today  Despite her aversion to cameras, I was able to get a photo of her modelling the tunic:

Belted Tunic - 05 - Final

Jenny modelling the Belted Tunic

I’m happy to say that others have also liked the finished tunic.

This must now count as the most challenging project that I’ve completed!

Belted Tunic : Part 4


Well, I’ve got to the last part: the belt.  Of course, it was inevitable that something would mean adapting the pattern!  We were unable to find a big buckle.  Jenny, actually, prefers a smaller buckle anyway so I’ve had to adapt the pattern, to accommodate a narrower buckle.  So, keeping to the style of the belt in the pattern, I’m knitting the belt to the following:

Cast on 7 sts using 6mm needles
Row 1: P2, K1, P1, K1, P2
Row 2: P3, K1, P3
Rep these 2 rows until 38” long
Cast off

And this is producing:

Belted Tunic - 04 - Belt

The belt for the Belted Tunic

It’s quick but very repetitive work.  Still, the end is in sight!

 

Belted Tunic : Part 3


The front and back of the tunic now completed, I’m now working on the collar, which is made in two sections.  This is in a ribbed lace effect, which proved challenging at the outset.  It’s also one of those patterns where you have to knit a fair amount before you get the satisfaction of seeing it emerge.  It’s not my favourite part of the pattern, but it’s effective, especially for creating a cosy collar.  The back is nearing completion, then it’s the front section’s turn, which will take longer, being more stitches.

Belted Tunic - 03 - Collar - Back Section

Back Section of the Belted Tunic Collar

Once the two collar sections are completed, that will leave only the belt to make.  After that, there’s the sewing stage as the pattern doesn’t call for any ironing/blocking.

Jenny’s getting quite excited now, as the end draws near 

 

Caron International Free Project : Cables and Lace Baby Blanket


I’m seriously thinking about making this: Caron International | Free Project | Cables & Lace Baby Blanket.  I love doing cables and I’m making progress in my relationship with lace LOL.  With a baby due around September, this could be a very special gift.  I’m going to have to look around at some nice, gender-neutral, soft yarns!

Belted Tunic : Part 2


The front is nearing completion:

Belted Tunic - 02 - Front
Belted Tunic – 02 – Front

The neckline is now established and I’m nearing the shoulder shaping.  This is such an easy pattern to follow!  At current rate, it will be completed in no time.  If you’re interested, the details of the pattern source can be found here, on Ravelry.  It’s well worth getting a back issue of Simply Knitting #77 (March 2011)!

Belted Tunic : Part 1


At the weekend, I started making a belted tunic for Jenny.  The pattern is titled Lime Queen in Simply Chunky Knits, a supplement in Simply Knitting magazine.  Jenny chose the yarn herself: Stylecraft Life Chunky, Shade 2319 Mixtures Cranberry, which is 75% Acrylic/25% Wool.  The tunic features a “skirt” of lacework and a top of ribbing, with a cowl collar.  It’s a beautiful garment, designed by Pat Menchini.

I’ve gotten this far:

Belted Tunic - 01 - Front

Belted Tunic - 01 - Front

I’ll try to update you on progress as I go along.

Major Project Completed!


I finished my biggest project to date last night!  The pattern was in Simply Knitting magazine’s Simply Chunky Knits, under the title Big Softy.  It’s a wonderful cable sweater designed by Grace Melville.  It was a challenge, but only due to being the most significant single object I’ve attempted.

The photos make it look as though the sleeves are uneven but that’s a consequence of the size hanger I used!  The sweater’s a perfect fit, happily.  I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed making it.  I couldn’t get a 10mm circular needle, but the 9mm one I used for the neckband (which is worked in the round) worked fine.  Interestingly, I knitted it in Stylecraft‘s Life Super Chunky (Shade 2377 Sage) rather than just chunky.  Knowing that I was using a somewhat heavier yarn, I did try to adjust my tension to compensate.  The yarn’s beautiful to work with and is super soft.  It’s 75% Acrylic, 25% Wool.