Previous posts will show that I’ve had some big projects to work on. Despite that, or maybe because of it, there have been odd moments when I couldn’t , or hadn’t the energy to, work on them. To fill such moments, recently, I’ve been making myself a pair of Fable Fingerless Mitts by Sian Parker:
Fable Fingerless Mitts
If you want a quick, stash-busting project, you can’t go wrong with these! A pair only takes a few hours to make and they are easy to adapt – see the Frog Mitts I made. They are knitted in the flat, though it should be easy to knit them in the round.
Our younger son is a fan of hedgehogs. When I happened upon Hedgehogs & Apples (in Creative Knitting, March 2011), designed by Eteri Khodnashvili, it was obvious that either Jenny or myself would have to make at least one! Jenny it was, as it uses a yarn type I’m not keen on. Here’s Jenny’s finished Mama Hedgehog:
Mama Hedgehog made by Jenny
I love this pattern! It knits up so quickly! I’m galloping (for me) and am already nearly half way. I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t dodged knitting in the round!
Smocked Tam - WIP-2
I’m now on the second increase round. And here I have to say what a pleasure it is to not be confronted with “dec x sts evenly across the row”! That kind of pattern instruction annoys me so much…
As I had 300g of the Stylecraft Life Chunky (Mixtures Cranberry) yarn left over from making the belted tunic, Jenny asked for a Tam (or similar) to go with it. After some searching and reading, Jenny’s preferred design was Blackberry Surprise, by Thea Colman. I’ve started on it today, finally daring to knit a piece using circular needles!
Smocked Tam - WIP-1
Not only does this mean using circular needles from scratch (there’s also some DPN work towards the end), knitting-in-the-round, but I’ll also be learning to “smock”. Should be interesting!
At around 4 this morning I finished the belted tunic! Sewing on the collar was challenging but ample pinning saw me through it. Jenny is thrilled with it and has worn it all day today Despite her aversion to cameras, I was able to get a photo of her modelling the tunic:
Jenny modelling the Belted Tunic
I’m happy to say that others have also liked the finished tunic.
This must now count as the most challenging project that I’ve completed!
Well, I’ve got to the last part: the belt. Of course, it was inevitable that something would mean adapting the pattern! We were unable to find a big buckle. Jenny, actually, prefers a smaller buckle anyway so I’ve had to adapt the pattern, to accommodate a narrower buckle. So, keeping to the style of the belt in the pattern, I’m knitting the belt to the following:
Cast on 7 sts using 6mm needles
Row 1: P2, K1, P1, K1, P2
Row 2: P3, K1, P3
Rep these 2 rows until 38” long
And this is producing:
The belt for the Belted Tunic
It’s quick but very repetitive work. Still, the end is in sight!
The front and back of the tunic now completed, I’m now working on the collar, which is made in two sections. This is in a ribbed lace effect, which proved challenging at the outset. It’s also one of those patterns where you have to knit a fair amount before you get the satisfaction of seeing it emerge. It’s not my favourite part of the pattern, but it’s effective, especially for creating a cosy collar. The back is nearing completion, then it’s the front section’s turn, which will take longer, being more stitches.
Back Section of the Belted Tunic Collar
Once the two collar sections are completed, that will leave only the belt to make. After that, there’s the sewing stage as the pattern doesn’t call for any ironing/blocking.
Jenny’s getting quite excited now, as the end draws near
I’m seriously thinking about making this: Caron International | Free Project | Cables & Lace Baby Blanket. I love doing cables and I’m making progress in my relationship with lace LOL. With a baby due around September, this could be a very special gift. I’m going to have to look around at some nice, gender-neutral, soft yarns!
Last night, Jenny started experimenting with making beaded stitch and place markers for knitting use. It’s a learning curve as we’ve only got the little plastic stitch markers and place markers have always been loops of scrap yarn. One thing I’ve always hated about those yarn place markers is the way the loops go sloppy and then “creep” so making stitch counting a problem. The beaded ones, however, have enough weight to stop that happening. I’d seen the beaded stitch markers others make, and in all honesty had thought them to be no more than a bit of pretty bling. Now, I know that they’re actually very useful, and definitely superior to the cheap little markers, which have a nasty habit of pinging off, often without being noticed.
Here are a couple of place markers Jenny made for me:
Knitting Place Markers
I’m looking forward to using these in place of yarn scraps!
Considering how often markers are used, and the fact that they are obligatory in many patterns, especially knitting in the round, I think that having this particular form of bling is very worthwhile!
Knit Today magazine (Issue 57, March 2011) has a pattern for a Teddy Bear, Tooth Fairy Bear by Emma King (author of The Best Dressed Knitted Bears). Jenny wanted a Teddy pattern to experiment with, in yarn terms, and this was to hand. She has knitted the bear in eyelash yarn, the majority being Sirdar Funky Fur Magic (Shade 605):
Ex Tooth Fairy Bear - by Jenny
Obviously, this is a naked bear, not like the clothed original Jenny used obsidian beads and felt for the eyes and a Czech pressed glass bead (end drilled) for the nose.
I think he’s really cute, though I may be biased